It was built in 1870 as a Church of England Primary School. Christ Church School was extended over the years, and housed 200 pupils in that time. The school moved to its present site on Tapton View Road in 1969.
The building was then purchased by Christ Church and was for many years Christ Church Hall. The building is still owned by the church. A number of church members had for many years a vision of turning it into a community venue for local people. This became a reality in 1999 when, with the help of funding from Chesterfield Area Regeneration Team, funding was granted for the installation of indoor toilets and disabled access. In 2002 the building was totally refurbished with funding from European Regional Development Fund, Single Regeneration Budget and Chesterfield Borough Council.
Since then the Centre has gone from strength to strength and now hosts between 30 and 40 activities each week. Our motto is ‘Something for Everyone’, and we feel that is what we have – with activities for all ages from babies to senior citizens. And the story doesn’t end there….
In 2004 it became obvious that we would need more space to accommodate increasing activity. Following a successful bid to the Coalfields Regeneration Trust, funding was secured to re-order the North Aisle of Christ Church. We now have a lovely room, the Hadfield Suite, which can accommodate up to 60 people, with it’s own kitchenette and disabled access.